Grandma’s Yellow Squash Casserole
Grandmas secret recipe is revealed. Chef Mike prepares Grandma’s Yellow Squash Casserole and cranberry sauce.
Grandma’s Yellow Squash Casserole Ingredients
1 stuck butter
1 medium onion, diced small
1 package Pepperidge Farm Corn Bread Stuffing
10 small yellow squash (or 8 medium size), diced medium
1 medium size carrot, grated
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 can Campbell’s Cream of Chicken Soup
1 cup sour cream
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat for 1 minute. Add the butter and onions and reduce the heat to medium low. Sauté onions until soft: about 10 minutes. Remove 2 tablespoons of the onion / butter mixture and set aside.
- Place the breadcrumbs in a large bowl and add the onion / butter mixture. Mix well and set aside.
- Heat a medium size sauce pot over medium high heat for 1 minute.
- Add the squash and sauté for 8-10 minutes or until softened.
- Add the 2 tablespoon reserved onions / butter mixture, grated carrot, garlic powder and salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the squash to a large bowl. Add the soup and sour cream and stir to combine.
- Place 3 tablespoon of the stuffing mixture to the bottom of a medium size baking dish. Add the squash mixture and top with the breadcrumb / onion mixture. *If using the following day, cover with foil and refrigerate. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 – 25 minutes, or until lightly browned on top.
Cranberry Sauce Ingredients
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 bag fresh cranberries
Zest of one orange
Juice of one orange
- Add the sugar and water to a medium size sauce pot and bring to a simmer over medium high heat. Add the cranberries and reduce heat to medium. Simmer for one minute and add the orange zest.
- Simmer form 2 minutes and ad the orange juice. Simmer until all the cranberries have popped open and sauce thicken; about 3 minutes.
- Place the sauce in a bowl and let cool for 45 minutes before refrigerating.
- Add the juice of one lemon wedger and stir just before serving.